Monday, January 24, 2011

Must. Do. More. Cardio.

Cardiovascular activity..... ugh! It is my nemesis. I love to exercise, but in order to lose the weight I want to lose, I have to step up the cardio. Apparently, twenty minutes on an elliptical is not enough. It is just not interesting. I have tried conversation, TV and music as distraction, and yet, there I am watching the seconds tick by in boredom.


My solution: changing it up! My spectacular workout partner and I have decided to run/ walk on the indoor track and get back into spinning. Both are excellent cardiovascular exercises, and interesting. I am not much of a runner, but the run/ walk combination helps. Spinning, in itself, is ever changing for the 50-60 minutes you are on the bike. Just when you think you want to give up, the instructor changes either your position, the tension or the speed. You feel accomplished when you get off the bike.


I am always telling my patients that in order to increase their endurance and strength, they need to build on what they are already doing. That simply doing the same thing everyday (even if they are very active), will only maintain what they have now. In order to increase strength and endurance, you need to take it to the next step, without exhausting yourself.
So I guess I need to start taking a bit of my own advise.

In the time since starting my exercise/ diet change regiment, I lost a total of 6 lbs, however, today I hopped on the scale and I am back to where I started. Major bummer, but more of a butt kicker. I will keep chugging along, and taking in the helpful advise that has been coming my way. I am so fortunate to have such great supporters, and hope they continue to motivate me along this journey.... "My Journey To The New Me."

No comments:

Post a Comment